Of all the ways to cook a potato, I never thought a simple baked potato would be the method that moved me to use the word “transcendent.” Yet here we are: Air Fryer Baked Potato. Shatteringly crisp on the outside and fabulously fluffy inside, the air fryer is hands down the best way to bake a spud I’ve encountered.
I don’t dislike baked potatoes, per se (I do have a pulse).
Unlike Air Fryer French Fries or Oven Roasted Potatoes, however, I sought them more for the toppings (ahem, Air Fryer Bacon) than for the potato itself.
That is, until I tried baking a potato in my air fryer.
- The skin becomes devastatingly dark, shiny, and crisp.
- The inside steams into a downy pillow, primed for fluffing.
- I was so pleased with the air fryer potato’s texture, I was happy to keep the potato toppings light (though, of course, you can take a note from this loaded Crockpot Potato Soup and gussy ’em up as you wish).
5 Star Review
“These potatoes were fabulous! It isn’t that much faster than cooking them in the oven – but they are so much better!”
The air fryer itself also offers its own benefits (hence, my extensive collection of air fryer recipes).
- The air fryer keeps the heat in your kitchen to a minimum because it bakes the potato in a tidy space.
- Your regular oven stays free to use for other endeavors.
- While the prep time is roughly the same, the air fryer is typically quicker than the regular oven when it comes to cooking.
- Less oil is needed to create that craveable, crispy skin exterior, making the air fryer a healthy cooking option for potatoes.
How to Make Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe
Only a little oil and a pinch of salt are needed to create a slam-dunk baked potato that’s fit to serve alongside your favorite Air Fryer Steak recipe.
How long to cook a baked potato in the air fryer will vary based on your air fryer model and the size of the potato.
- Small to Medium Potato (8 to 12 ounces): Air fry for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Large Potato (12 ounces or more): Air fry for 45 to 55 minutes.
I tested this recipe as Ninja air fryer baked potatoes (this is my air fryer model).
Depending on your model, you may need to adjust the cooking time. When in doubt, check early. You can always cook for longer, but an overcooked potato can’t be undone.
- Russet potato. Fluffy, starchy, and beloved. Potatoes get a bad wrap in the nutrition department, but that’s often due to the cooking method (ahem, fried potatoes) or among diets that prefer to avoid carbohydrates. However, potatoes are actually packed with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
- olive oil. Rubbing olive oil onto the outside of the potato helps the skin crisp up.
- Salt. Adds texture and flavor to the potato skin.
- Scrub and dry the potatoes, then coat them with oil and salt. Prick holes all over with a fork. Place in air fryer basket.
- Air fry baked potatoes in a single layer for 25 minutes at 400 degrees F. Flip the potatoes.
- Air fry for 10 to 25 additional minutes until fork tender. Transfer to a plate.
- Cut and open the potatoes, add toppings, and DIG IN!
Ways to Use an Air Fryer Baked Potato
Aside from the obvious (serving it as a side dish), there are countless ways to enjoy air fryer baked potatoes. Here are a few of my favorite ideas:
- To store. Refrigerate leftover baked potatoes in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze air fryer potatoes in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Up to 1 day in advance, scrub and dry the potatoes.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Air Fryer. Perfect for making air fryer baked potatoes.
- Flip flops. My choice for flipping the potatoes.
- Measuring Spoons. These double-sided spoons are so nice.
The Best Air Fryer
No matter which air fryer recipes you want to make, this model will do the trick. It has more room than standard air fryers too!
Steakhouse baked potato, schmeakhouse.
We’ve got the best baked potato recipe right here!
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Unlike Crockpot Baked Potatoes, wrapping the potatoes in foil in the air fryer isn’t needed.
Yes. While the risk of a potato exploding in the air fryer is very low, it doesn’t hurt to poke holes in it prior to air frying. This will allow the steam to escape.
Yes, I think these would be delicious air fryer twice baked potatoes. Once you’ve finished the recipe as directed, scoop out the insides and mix with butter, milk (or heavy cream), salt, and pepper. Divide the whipped potatoes between the skins. Air fry for about 4 minutes, then add cheese and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. (Be sure to check out my Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes too.)
Many types of oils can be used in an air fryer for baked potatoes. Olive oil is my go-to for this recipe (and air fryer recipes at 400 degrees or less). Otherwise, oils with a high smoke point, such as canola oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, and even cooking spray, are ideal.
- 2 wide or 4 small russet potatoes as many as will fit in your air fryer in a single layer
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Toppings of choice: butter, nonfat plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream), chopped fresh chives, cooked and crumbled bacon*
- *Use my easy recipes for Air Fryer Bacon or Oven Baked Bacon.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate baked potatoes in an airtight storage container for up to 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze potatoes in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Serving: 1(of 3)calories: 256caloriesCarbohydrates: 44gprotein: 5gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gPotassium: 1026mgfiber: 3gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 2UIVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 32mgIron: 2mg
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.